New Year's

2014's been a bit rocky/strange for me but I'm here and relieved that I made the decision to go to uni again. I actually have focus, which is great. A great big chocolate-sprinkle-covered THANK YOU to all the people that got me where I am now - and that ranges from teachers who helped me with my (re-)application... to the wonderful people in my village who welcomed me back...to the crazy cool people I met at Glastonbury and Leeds making those festivals even more enjoyable...to the cat next door who would come and greet me on my way out of the house...to the inventors of Custard Creams...and to, obviously, my family and friends. I can't really say anymore because there are no words to describe the difference between how rubbish I felt in January and how much better I feel now. THANK YOU.

And NEW YEAR'S EVE, EY! Resolutions. A lot of people don't even make these in the first place because they know they're going to break them at some point.
I heard on the tellybox the other day that you should always strive for better, and I'm going to take this as a message to encourage feeling better about yourself. That's probably one of the best resolutions you can make for yourself, right? (Selfish ain't normally seen as good but if you're not selfish for you, who else is going to be? By that, I mean go and pour yourself a bath. Make it scented.)

HERE is my New Year's Resolution-inspiration. I am going to aim to do all of these. I think. Because I might as well try. And for all you lovelies who might have had a decrease in how well this year went for you, I'm not going to be one of those magical fairy horoscope-y internet writers who says "STARTING TOMORROW YOU WILL DISCOVER A HIDDEN TRUTH AND YOUR LIFE WILL MIRACULOUSLY TRANSFORM AT THE SWISH OF A TREE BRANCH" but you can make small positive changes. Change is a scary word. But if you take time out for yourself to sit back and think - no distractions of technology or tasks - and let your brain go through thoughts in a natural stream of thoughtliness you might find yourself a bit more relaxed.

Sometimes it's hard to know what we're thinking and this sounds crazy but I myself have this problem all the time. Someone asks me a question and I come up with an answer fairly quickly, but when I mull it over when I get home/climb into bed/prepare myself for a good night's sleep and actively try to avoid Netflix disturbance, I often realise that had I had the time I would have said something rather different, because I feel differently. I always hear "think before you speak" but if we all allowed ourselves the necessary amount of time to think, a lot of things would never get done. People on the Apprentice this year wouldn't have made (hilariously) stupid decisions...but then again we wouldn't have laughed so much.

I think everything turns out the way it's supposed to. You might not, and in a way things do just happen and they could have happened differently... but they only happen once at one time. So you have to make the most of what you have now and realise what you can and can't change. And make yourself happy. That's how I get through life and so I'm going to continue thinking like that.



Rhiannon x

Image via

Comments