A Snorlax, Marmite and He For She

So it's almost the end of fresher's week. The first lot of lectures is looming like a big fat looming thing but that big fat looming thing is also quite nice and welcoming. Just like a giant Snorlax. I'm actually really looking forward to digesting brain facts. I've invested in my French books and my first big shop which included the essentials such as this:
A 500g packet of Quorn mince.
and THIS HUNK (without Mr. Rickman, sadly):

Naked Alan Rickman holding a giant jar of Marmite.
whoever created this image deserves a fabulous prize.

I have succeeded in impressing myself by hoovering my room and taking out some disgusting-feeling recycling bags (team playah) and am now partaking in the fun task of backing up files, which a lady the other day in an orientation session said was a good idea because apparently if your computer busts its ass then you still get penalised for work if it's late. I love my laptop dearly, I do, I do, but what I do not do is trust it in the slightest to perform at its best when I need it to. Sod's law 'n' all.

As for work so far, I have done some reading which introduces my Gender Studies course and made some notes on what I believe to be 'feminism', how I do/don't identify myself as a 'feminist' and if 'feminism' has any relevance today. It's burger-flipping interesting and I've wacked Emma Watson's speech in my examples as it's pretty significant I think. Having just checked out the He For She website now, 169,920 men have joined the movement and that sounds great...but that is WORLDWIDE. Around 24,000 men have signed up in the UK alone. That sounds great too but in the UK there are over 63 million people. Let's say half of them are men. 24,000 out of 31 million. When you look at it as a percentage that's 0.077% of men in the UK and frankly we need more. I know a lot of them are young boys but still.

Get signed up, s'il vous plait, les hommes anglais - merci beaucoup et bonne nuit.

Rhiannon x

sources: a b c

Comments