Nearing the End of Home Life

Less than two weeks now until I move out and start university.



And I'm feeling okay about it....though I'm not sure if my stomach is feeling funny due to nerves or that it's recently recovering from an evil tummy bug of doom. I swear I'm becoming elderly prematurely as I'm basically an aching machine at the moment. Maybe it's some sort of twisted Benjamin Button-style scenario. Anyhow, I've got random urges to start packing my things into boxes and get ready even though I could "pack it all up in one night if you wanted to" (said Mama Knowles).

I'm also not quite sure about my title, as I've already done this thing before so am I a refresher? And when everyone else is a refresher next year will I be a rerefresher? Or a refresherfresher?

Found out two themes of my college's nights out in Freshers' week: army and pirate. I have neither an eye-patch nor a pirate hat nor any sort of army printed clothing (for deliberate reasons). Therefore, I think I'll make do with lots of neon face paint and an Amazon eye-patch which I'm trying to track down now. I learned the hard way in Manchester that if you don't have any fancy dress with you when you arrive, you either have to make it out of cardboard (which you most likely don't have as you've just got there) or do a walk of shame to the nearest Fancy Dress Shop and shed out pounds of valuable drinks/club entry/taxi/chips money.

My blogging music of choice this week is Zane Lowe's Monday Night slot on BBC Radio 1. Mixed feelings about it - his 'hottest record in tha woooorld right now' is some weird techno reggae with what sounds like an angry Noo-Noo and a squealing woman from the 90s. I think it's safe to say I'm not its biggest fan. He did however play a beautifully haunting song by a band called Alt-J. I recognised the lead singer's stunning voice instantly and had to stay in my room until I'd heard it all because it truly is ear-soothing. It's called "Warm Foothills" and it goes like this:



If I get to make any music at uni I'd love to go along Alt-J's lines as they're flipping great. And from Leeds...so, Yorkshire. No further explanation needed.

So YES, I only have two more volunteering sessions to go before I leave home and that makes me pretty sad as I've really got to like spending time with everyone there. I remember when I got a big card (which is sitting on my windowsill still) on my birthday this year, signed by everyone, and I ALMOST cried. Almost. And they brought out a tiny cake with a tiny candle and my love of miniature things went into overdrive. I'd only known these people for four months. They celebrate birthdays for everyone, no matter how long you've worked there and I think that is incredibly nice.

Whoever you are, lovely reader, you might already volunteer and that's great! If you don't, I'd really recommend it if you have the time as it's great experience and the people you're helping out really do appreciate it. I work for a plant nursery nearby; picking and pressing flowers, weaving and making greetings cards with workers is my job. I love arts and crafts personally but there are so many different posts out there, and your travel is normally paid for by the establishment. Basically one afternoon of my week = meeting up with amazing people, doing things I love, and laughing a lot. Can't really beat that.

I've had to turn Radio 1 off now (thank god, Zane's beats were making me go a lil' crazy) - laptop needs some energy juice.

Basically to sum up, I'm going to uni very soon, and a lot of people I know are too - either they're returning or starting for the first (okay, maybe even second, very funny, haha) time. You might even be there right now, and if anyone needs any Fresher advice or words of wisdom on pirate costumes let me know. I will undoubtedly be an expert in a fortnight.

Rhiannon x

Image via

Comments